Create Your Own IoT Device with Makeblock Platform!
Participant requirement: Open for all HKUST students who have no technical background. Beginners welcome.
Medium of Instruction: English
Deposit: HKD$300/head. If you join with your friend, a discount of HKD$100 will be deducted for a team registration. (Refundable, please read the details of arrangement as below)
- 2 participants will be paired up as a team to share one set of materials throughout the workshop.
- Student registered as individual (deposit HKD$300): Your team member will be randomly assigned by the organizer.
- Students registered as team (deposit HKD$500): please make sure you and your team member can attend Lesson 1 to 4.
- Participants are required to bring own laptop.
- Basic level is prerequisite course for Advanced level. Participation of Advanced level (Lesson 5 & 6) is on voluntary basis. Registration will be open at Lesson 3.
Description of Basic Level (25 Oct – 15 Nov 2017)
In this series of lessons, we will try out basic coding for the Makeblock platform and explore how to navigate using 'drag-n-drop’ programming ( Scratch/ mBlock) and Arduino IDE for more advanced users. We will also cover some of the hottest topics in the technology world today - IoT (Internet of Things) and cloud computing. Participants will be able to create their own PM2.5 weather station at the end of the series, and share their weather data online to the public. Together, we will be able to monitor the pollution level of different areas in Hong Kong! Beginners with no coding experience are welcome! Please just bring your PC / Mac.
Description of Advanced Level (22 Nov, 29 Nov 2017)
After the weather station project that we create together in the first few lessons, everyone will probably have their own ideas to build a creative IoT device with the Makeblock platform! We will go in depth on the design thought process to help you kick start your IoT device, providing technical assistance along the way. We will also share some prototypes as well as commercial ideas built from the Makeblock platform. Who knows, maybe you can create a prototype for your first project on Kickstarter!
Step 1: Online register [HERE]
Step 2: Submit deposit (HKD$300/individual basis OR HKD$500/team basis) to Miss Tracy Leung of Entrepreneurship Center (Rm3614, 3/F, Entrepreneurship Center, Lift no. 29, 30 during weekday 09:00-12:30, 14:00-17:00)
Deadline of registration and payment of deposit: 11 Oct 2017, 5pm (Wed)
Confirmation of Registration
- First-come-first-served, subjects to completion of both steps 1 and 2.
- Successful registrants will receive notice of confirmation.
- Deposit is fully refundable upon successfully completion of workshop AND return all the program materials to HKUST EC.
- Attended Lesson 1 to 4 (Basic level): Fully refundable by autopay after 29 Nov.
- Academic reason of absence is only acceptable with VAILD proof (eg. email issued by lecturer) and please send to Entrepreneurship Center by 3 days in advance of the lesson.
As a "Forty Under 40" honoree of the global AKPsi Business Fraternity in 2017, Sandra has been recognized as an early pioneer in STEM education in HK and a leading woman in the STEM field in Hong Kong. Sandra is Makeblock’s Official Educational Advisor, introducing the Makeblock platform in 2015 to Hong Kong. She advocates internationally on the need for STEM programs and their implementation in the educational system, advising officials in multiple countries on how to incorporate STEM into their curriculum. Sandra and her team have been invited for a number of talks and workshops related to STEM & Maker Education and entrepreneurship.
Website of Makeblock: http://makeblock.hk/
Q1: I have registered as individual and paid for deposit HKD$300, but now my friend would like to pair up with me. Can my friend charged for $200 deposit only? and pair up with me?
Answer: No, we're sorry that your friend needs to pay HKD$300 deposit. However, we can try to pair up you and your friend if the quota is still available.
Q2: If my team lost part of the materials, do we need to pay for it?
Answer: Yes, the program materials are on loan for all participants. Compensation is needed for any damage or loss of program materials and the responsibility is on team basis. Deposits may be confiscated as the compensation.
Q3: I am interested in the Advanced level, but not sure my availability. Can I walk in for Lesson 5 & 6?
Answer: No. In order to facilitate the course planning and program materials, interested participants need to confirm their participation of Lesson 5 & 6 at Lesson 3.
Q4: I am interested to join the Advanced level, but my team member is not available. Would that be okay?
Answer: Yes, it would be okay.
For enquiry of the workshop: firstname.lastname@example.org